Friday, January 2, 2009

We're off and running

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all !!
You know, during the holiday season there are things that we say we'll do after the holiday 'when things slow down.' Who are we kidding? I doubt any of you have slowed down, yet. I know I haven't. We had a wonderful watch night service, fellowship and food following. Then we prayed the old year out and new year in. It was one of those services of humble reflections.
Then for the first time in my life, on New Year's day, I prepared the traditonal black-eyed peas, cabbage and pork (couldn't do the hog jowls). It really was a wonderful change from all the holiday/banquet foods. I even had time to get some decorations down. THEN THE PHONE CALL CAME. It was my sister, Kathy, who lives in N.C. She was calling about mother's 80th b'day bash we're getting together (mind you, we've known about this for 79 yrs. don't know why I feel the crunch now). I have been doing what I can for this past yr. But there are just so many things you can do a yr. in advance. Well, now the deadlines are quickly coming upon us. I told Darrell there will no sleep for me until these plans are completed. I WAS RIGHT!! I sat up in bed, wide awake, at 2:30 am this morning. Guess what? You CAN accomplish a lot when the house is totally quiet from 2:30 - 7:30. Now, I may be really tired but I sure did get a lot done. whewww. . . when I get this stuff in the mail, I'll really breathe a sigh of relief.
I know many of you have planned receptions for your parent/parents whether b'day for anniversary. Just want to say, I'm open to any suggestions or ideas that would make this day extra special for my mom. Uh, would you mind if I call at . . . say, 3:30 a.m. if I have any questions? Just kidding, really.
May I leave you something to ponder . . . ? ? ? If quitters never win and winners never quit, who came up with "Quit while you're ahead?"
Gotta get busy. . .later

5 comments:

  1. My dear SIS ... "D" day is 3 WEEKS from tomorrow! And you're traveling there early that week. It is 'CRUNCH' time!!! I think we may be in trouble. Good thing I had a couple exra days off and called you yesterday, huh?!?!I sure had a good time talking and laughing with you today! It will be good to spend a little time with all (most all) the family later this month.
    I love you ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cooked black eyed peas for the first time this New Years too! They sure were good...we just had them with grilled brats.
    Hope you get everything done on time...there is nothing like a deadline to get you motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL You were on a role tonight!!! I got so tickled at the known about it for 79 years! I know that you will pull it all together you always do and it always turns out wonderful!!! I am just really glad we'll get to share it all with everyone now! I am looking forward to the party! I was thinking that I had heard someone do a party for there family and the Hostess gave all the immediate family members $100.00 I don't know if that will work for you but I thought it was a great idea!!! LOL Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure why I did, but I am so glad I came back to this again. I really needed that laugh Amanda! I'm still laughing and wiping the tears as I try to type. You ... you AND your brothers (and of course your dad) ... are just too funny! Never a dull moment. I'm really looking forward to our time together. I'm sure there'll be lots of laughs and good times ... can't wait! Your mom and I have had some while talking over the phone with the planning. I hope you come back to this post now to see the note I've actually written to you! lol
    I SURE AM GLAD Jeanetta's the Hostess ... and with the mostest!
    Love you ... Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL So you like the idea I heard about huh? Mom you did ask for ideas! soooooo you gotta take what you get!! LOL

    ReplyDelete